Netsimco is a Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business providing IT, Network/Systems Engineering, Application Development, Audio-Visual services to DOD customers, including the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Undersea Warfighting Development Center; US Naval War College, US Army, and Naval Postgraduate School.
The Senior Proofreader position requires experience in an academic, professional, and technical publication environment, including production, distribution, and database management aspects.
Position responsibilities include:
- Reading various publications and performing research to learn about the purpose, development, production, and requirements of different products to determine necessary and intended design, content, format, characteristics, and delivery details.
- Reviewing published and proposed materials, recommending revisions or changes, developing, writing, editing, and proofing material to complete production-ready reports, manuals, syllabi, journals, books, and related scholarly, academic, and professional works.
- Creating and organizing component materials, determining best breakdown and sequencing of work, inputting and formatting data, and completing assignments to include entering and inspecting final corrections virtually without error.
- Reviewing and evaluating material prepared by other employees as well as training personnel as needed.
- Liaising with Government editor(s), Government clients, other Government agencies, and commercial printers.
- Experience in overseeing, managing, and tracking product development and project breakdown, assignments, progress, completion, and record keeping.
- Three years’ experience in writing, editing, and proofing.
- Ability to swiftly perform word-for-word proofing and editorial proofing, simultaneously
- Ability to identify, on first pass, 95 percent of items requiring callouts for correction and 98 percent on second pass as determined by Government.
- Experience in and skills for working in paper, electronic, and magnetic formats, and in both Windows and Mac operating environments, with
facility in a variety of applicable computer hardware and software systems. Typing ability.
- Demonstrated understanding of document version controls, record keeping, and archiving, and storage and retrieval of data, files, and other
- Familiarity with and skill in applying, interpreting, and responding to standard proofreading markings.
- Familiarity with Navy and other DoD documents, terminology, and platforms, including ship types, as well as sensors, weapons, and other
- Familiarity with Navy and other DoD ranks, command structures, history, and customs.
- Knowledgeability on graphics options, techniques, and procedures, and capability to execute them. Expertise in incorporating graphics (e.g.,
artwork, photographs, drawings) into publications/products. Ability to create new or adapt/convert (e.g., render into digital images,
manipulate, crop, adjust color) existing graphics and transfer to accompany text, incorporating, formatting, and typesetting to create finished
- Capability to perform desktop publishing-type functions, including design, layout, and formatting/reformatting. Facility in using Microsoft
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook, InDesign, Corel Ventura, SharePoint Portal, Lotus Notes/Domino, Adobe Acrobat (PDF),
Photoshop, HTML/XML, and both vector and bitmap graphical formats or equivalent, and exporting files from these formats to Adobe
Acrobat PDF, HTML/XML, and NIPRNET.
- Experience in media preparation, to conform to current DoD and ISO standards (e.g., read-me files).
- Thorough understanding of the principles of web-based and of CD/DVD data design, development, preparation, and use, and the execution
thereof, including facility in use of MS Office, Adobe, Photoshop, Corel, Dreamweaver, Front Page, Flash, and the like.
- Bachelor’s-level degree in any field
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
Netsimco offers an excellent compensation package and comprehensive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, and 401(k).
As an EOE/AA employer, Netsimco will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
|Job Category||Naval War College|