Netsimco is a Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business providing IT, Network/Systems Engineering, Application Development, Audio-Visual services to DOD customers, including the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Undersea Warfighting Development Center; US Naval War College, US Army, and Naval Postgraduate School.
The Journeyman Proofreader position requires review of various publications to learn about the purpose, development, production, and requirements of different products to understand necessary and intended design, content, format, characteristics, and delivery details.
Position responsibilities include:
- Seeking, receiving, and applying information regarding products and production methods from senior proofreader(s), Government editor(s), Government clients, other Government agencies, commercial printers, and external sources to complete publications/products to designated standards.
- Participation in the review of published and proposed materials and recommendation of revisions or changes in scope, layout, format, content, or execution.
- Developing, writing, editing, and proofreading material to complete production-ready reports, manuals, syllabi, journals, books, and related scholarly, academic, and professional works.
- Creating and organizing component material, and cooperating with others to carry out breakdown and sequencing of work.
- Completing writing, editing, and proofing of assignments, down to entering final corrections and submitting for inspection as directed.
- Liaising with Government editor(s), Government clients, other Government agencies, and commercial printers to carry out or contribute to the performance of administrative functions as required.
- Experience in writing, editing, and proofing
- Demonstrated capabilities as a team member of a complex publishing project
- Ability to swiftly perform word-for-word proofing and editorial proofing preferably simultaneously
- Ability to identify, on first pass, 90 percent of items requiring callouts for correction and 95 percent on second pass as determined by Government
- Experience in and skills for working in paper, electronic, and magnetic formats, and in both Windows and Mac operating environments, with
facility in a variety of applicable computer hardware and software systems. Typing ability.
- Demonstrated understanding of document version controls, record keeping, and archiving, and storage and retrieval of data, files, and other
- Familiarity with and skill in applying, interpreting, and responding to standard proofreading markings.
- Familiarity with Navy and other DoD documents, terminology, and platforms, including ship types, as well as sensors, weapons, and other
- Familiarity with Navy and other DoD ranks, command structures, history, and customs.
- Knowledgeability on graphics options, techniques, and procedures, and capability to execute them. Expertise in incorporating graphics (e.g.,
artwork, photographs, drawings) into publications/products. Ability to create new or adapt/convert (e.g., render into digital images,
manipulate, crop, adjust color) existing graphics and transfer to accompany text, incorporating, formatting, and typesetting to create finished
- Capability to perform desktop publishing-type functions, including design, layout, and formatting/reformatting. Facility in using Microsoft
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook, InDesign, Corel Ventura, SharePoint Portal, Lotus Notes/Domino, Adobe Acrobat (PDF),
Photoshop, HTML/XML, and both vector and bitmap graphical formats or equivalent, and exporting files from these formats to Adobe
Acrobat PDF, HTML/XML, and NIPRNET.
- Experience in media preparation, to conform to current DoD and ISO standards (e.g., read-me files).
- Thorough understanding of the principles of web-based and of CD/DVD data design, development, preparation, and use, and the execution
thereof, including facility in use of MS Office, Adobe, Photoshop, Corel, Dreamweaver, Front Page, Flash, and the like.
- High School diploma and/or degree in any field
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
Netsimco offers an excellent compensation package and comprehensive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, and 401(k).
As an EOE/AA employer, Netsimco will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
|Job Category||Naval War College|